Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Saddest Part of The Memorial Service

As I sit watching the VT memorial service, finding it difficult to return to work at the site of such an historic moment of grieving and as I grieve for those who have lost loved ones in this tragedy, I am saddened most by the lack of hope in the memorial service. In a land that gurantees the freedom of religion, I watched a Muslim leader plead to Allah, a Bhuddist quote the Dhali Lama, and a Jewish woman read from the Old Testament, but I found no hope in Jesus Christ mentioned from the Lutheran minister chosen to represent Christianity. The Band played Amazing Grace, but the words were of course left out. WHERE'S THE HOPE? What is this Amazing Grace of which we hear?

There is hope found in no other than in the Lord, Jesus Christ whom Paul assures us has overcome death, hell, and the grave. He is our hope for etenal life as it is promised in John 14. He has gone to prepare a place for us and for all who will look to him for salvation. It is indeed a sad day when, during such a terrible occasion, a Christian minister could and would stand before such a grieving audience and not share with them the hope of Jesus Christ.

In times of grief and in times of joy, Christians have the responsibility to share the good news and hope of Jesus Christ with the world around us. Jesus is not a politically incorrect burden to be avoided in multi-cultural and multi-religious events. Jesus Christ is the hope of our world, it is our privilege to share the gospel (which means the good news) with our world. Christians, do not rob the world of their opportunity of salvation...take the love of Christ. Who can be opposed to being loved, and who loves more than our Savior.

To Virginia Tech and to all who mourn, I offer to you Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World.

AMAZING GRACE

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,That saved a wretch like me....I once was lost but now am found,Was blind, but now, I see.
----
T'was Grace that taught...my heart to fear.And Grace, my fears relieved.How precious did that Grace appear...the hour I first believed.
----
Through many dangers, toils and snares...we have already come.T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...and Grace will lead us home.
----
The Lord has promised good to me...His word my hope secures.He will my shield and portion be...as long as life endures.
----
When we've been here ten thousand years...bright shining as the sun.We've no less days to sing God's praise...then when we've first begun.
----
The earth shall soon dissolve like snow, the sun forbear to shine; But God, Who called me here below, shall be forever mine.

No comments: