Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Now I See

"He answered, 'whether or not He's a sinner, I don't know. One thing I do know: I was blind, and now I can see!'"
-John 9:25
-----
What an exclamation. "I was blind, and now I see!" The claim by this formerly blind man resonates with every Christian who has ever lived. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about Jesus, "I know what he has done in my life." One can scarcely read this passage without being reminded of the great hymn by John Newton.
-----
It's interesting to note that John Newton wrote Amazing Grace following his contemplation on 1 Chronicles 17:16-17: "Kind David...said: 'Who am I, O Lord God? And what is my house, that You have brought me this far?..." The amazing thing about grace is not so much that we have been rescued from our spiritual blindness, but that God loves us enough to do it in spite of our sinful lives. We live in opposition to God, having nothing of value in our sinful condition that will add to God in any way, and yet, He sacrificed to give us life.
-----
The amazing thing about grace is the God who bestows it. John Newton wrote another verse to Amazing Grace, it goes like this: The earth shall soon dissolve like snow, the sun forbear to shine; But God, Who called me here below, shall be forever mine. He is an amazing God who not only saves us from our despicable condition, but actually attaches Himself to us, giving us the right to be called children of God.
-----
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound! That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found; Was blind but now I see.

No comments: