Monday, March 23, 2009

For The Sake of His Steadfast Love

Last night, I preached from Psalm 6:4 where David cries out for God's salvation with these words:

"Save me for the sake of your steadfast love."

I would challenge you today to ponder on this thought, God's salvation is not ultimately because of anything I've done or even because I am worthy of it. Rather, God has chosen to save us for the sake of his steadfast love.

Jesus' death on the cross accomplished all that was needed for our salvation (see my sermon on The Ten Accomplishments of the Cross), but his motivation was not my sin. Rather, his motivation was the will of the Father, And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will (Matthew 26:39).” It was the love of God that held Christ on the cross. The love of God for himself and his own glory ultimately, and the desire to see his creation restored to right relationship with him.

We must be careful as Christians to view the cross, not as man-centered, but as God-centered. On the cross, Christ reconciled sinners to himself, but he did so so that God would be glorified through his acts of grace and mercy. He saved us, not for our own sake, but for the sake of his steadfast love.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: