Tuesday, October 16, 2007

For Your Consideration

Joel Osteen has written a new book that is bound to be a best-seller. I believe he received a $15 million advance on the book. He also pastors the largest church in america, or does he? The questions surrounding Osteen are endless, is he a pastor or a motivational speaker? Denny Burk has written a thorough review of Osteen's interview with 60 Minutes on Sunday night. You can read Burk's Review here: www.dennyburk.com.

I found the most intriguing part of Burk's comments to be the quotes taken from the 60 Minutes interview. I challenge you to find the gospel in the quotes below, and then, if you haven't already, read Burk's review. I promise it is worth your time.

Inteviewer: “[In your new book, you write that] to become a better you, you must be positive towards yourself, develop better relationships, embrace the place where you are. Not one mention of God in that. Not one mention of Jesus Christ in that.”


Osteen: “That’s just my message. There is scripture in there that backs it all up. But I feel like, Byron, I’m called to help people…how do we walk out the Christian life? How do we live it? And these are principles that can help you. I mean, there’s a lot better people qualified to say, ‘Here’s a book that going to explain the scriptures to you.’ I don’t think that’s my gifting.”

We must be dilligent in our study, practice, and teaching of God's Word. Above all else, a pastor must be a person that is "going to explain the scriptures to you."

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: