Thursday, May 17, 2007

I'm Back

I know, its been a while since my last post, but there have been quite a few things going on in my life. Most importantly, my first child, Wyatt Connor Thompson, was born on Sunday, May 13. It is amazing how much a person can love another person who has really done nothing to deserve it. I am convinced that having a child and loving that child is about as close to understanding God's grace toward human beings as we can possibly get. When I look into Wyatt's eyes, I have nothing but unbridled love for that child.

Where, you may ask, is the grace in loving your own child? If we understand grace to be the giving of an undeserved gift, then it becomes clear. Wyatt has done nothing to earn or deserve my love. As a matter of fact, he has done much to the contrary to earn my derision. He has deprived me of sleep, personal financial gain, and some degree of freedom. Most horrific of his offenses is the pain through which he put Angela, my wife. For all intensive purposes, Wyatt should have earned my scourn, but instead I love him in a way that I can not really explain. God is so amazing to give us such wonderful gifts and to love us though we are unloveable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wait until he's a teenager! Or better yet, until he starts acting like you and Jeff!