Thursday, December 22, 2005

Harry Potter

For the first time, I watched a Harry Potter movie the other day. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was broadcast on cable and my wife and I sat down and watched it. I have to say that I really did enjoy the movie, it was a wonderful trip into the world of fantasy. It is a shame to me that Harry Potter could not have the same theological undertones as are found in The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of The Rings, considering the similarities between the three works. However, noting that the Potter series is not the least bit theological, I would encourage prudence. As I have encouraged when asked about Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code, Christians, as well as all logical people, must draw a line between fantasy (or fiction) and reality. When encountering a fictional book or movie, we must always remember that it is just that, fiction.

No comments: